Friday, February 8, 2019

Birds Checking Out Nest Boxes

Every year I've been building some nesting boxes and putting them around our property. We're just starting to exit the winter of 2018-19 and have had a few stretches of warm days. The local bird population seems to be shifting from their winter habits into spring habits. The bird feeders, for example, aren't getting emptied out every day. Also, I notice the birds are starting to check out the nesting boxes.

Unfortunately, I've been slow to build a batch of bird houses for this year. I want to build some bluebird boxes (which often get used by sparrows) and also some platforms for swallows. Last year some barn swallows were scouting our property for a house, but didn't settle in.

It's probably not too late to get some new houses out there, but I better get out in the shop this weekend and at least get started. Here's a nice reference for bird house specifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment