Friday, May 12, 2017

Milkweed Seed Update

Mix of Clipped and Unclipped Seeds
I nipped the bottom of several milkweed seeds with a pair of sharp clippers. The pair I used was actually for electronics, but anything would work--scissors, a pairing knife, etc... I just clipped away at the seed husk until I could see the interior of the seed just a little bit.

I then spread those seeds on a paper towel and covered them with a paper towel and kept them moist. (covered with a dishcloth). A wet dishcloth keeps the paper towels moist overnight. You can check the progress of the seeds during the morning, then soak the dishcloth.

A number of the seeds sprouted in just a couple days. The unclipped seeds take a very long time to sprout. Actually I haven't witnessed any sprout yet. I planted the sprouted seeds in pots and am growing them inside.

Sprouted Milkweed Seeds (4 days later)

No comments:

Post a Comment