Saturday, May 13, 2017

No-Till Sunflower Update

Sunflowers do really well around here. On our property they'd rather grow than not grow, when a bird drops a seed on the ground, chances are it will grow. It's no surprise, then, that my no-till planting of sunflowers in our future expanded garden are doing well. I planted them with three methods. One was to poke a hole in the ground and stick a seed in the soil. Another was to mash one into the ground and cover it with a handful of dirt. The third was to scatter them around under straw. All the seeds are growing. The most labor intensive method was the least effective. (poking the soil)

I think all I'd need to do is throw handfuls of sunflowers around and cover them with some straw and they'd grow like grass. I will probably give that a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment