Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Winter Wheat Cover/Corn Patch Update

I terminated the winter wheat, then planted corn in the crimped over plants. I think I planted the corn too early this year, though. The spring was cool and very, very wet here. In other parts of the state, there was flooding and some farmers didn't even plant a crop. The cool, rainy conditions prevent the corn from germinating.

The plants didn't really start growing until late June. The first batch of seeds probably just rotted. I'll probably plant corn again next year, following a similar method, but I'll wait until the soil is 70 degrees. I terminated the winter wheat too soon, also.

The corn that is growing does seem pretty healthy and strong. The no-till method eventually works, but it's slow going. Areas of the garden with more compacted soil are a dead zone, though. I probably need to pile a bunch of compost there and let it rot for a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment